Tuesday, July 21, 2009

TWD Blanc Manger

Posted by BAKE-EN at 2:33 PM


Susan of Sticky, Gooey, Creamy, Chewy selected Raspberry Blanc-Manger as this week's TWD recipe.

I loved the idea of this cake, but the end product was a bit lack-luster. Two things I did that I won't do again. I used natural almonds which created a non-blanc manger. Second, I make the cake in VT, and I accidently grabbed a 10" cake pan instead of an 8". The resulting cake was really thin, maybe only 1/2" tall. I would like a taller cake next time. I did love the contrast between the tart raspberries and creamy almond mousse. I found myself only eating the sections that had both raspberries and cream.



I love the idea of a go-to no bake summer dessert, so I'm going to try this again soon. Next time I'll infuse my cream with thyme, and I will use a smaller cake pan and blanched almonds.

6 comments on "TWD Blanc Manger"

TeaLady on July 21, 2009 at 3:26 PM said...

It wasn't one of our favorites either, but sure was pretty.

Yours looks perfect.

Jules Someone on July 21, 2009 at 4:40 PM said...

That looks lovely! This is another one I didn't even try.

Hindy on July 21, 2009 at 5:03 PM said...

I agree that the best bits had the raspberries for contrasting flavour. Mine fell apart, so i made ice cream.

Engineer Baker on July 22, 2009 at 12:40 PM said...

Ooo - thyme would be fantastic in there. I agree though, I only liked the parts that had fruit in them.

Audrey on July 22, 2009 at 8:07 PM said...

Honestly, I really liked this...so I hope you try it again (when I like something, however unreasonable this is, I want other people to, too!) :)

Anonymous said...

Too bad it didn't work out for you. I do like the rustic look of the skin on almonds though.

 

Bake-En Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez