Tuesday, July 1, 2008

TWD Apple Cheddar Scones

Posted by BAKE-EN at 10:45 PM

Karina of The Floured Apron chose apple cheddar scones as this weeks TWD recipe. The heat and humidity in Boston this week has been awful. I had to wake up at 5:00 to make these because I knew my kitchen wouldn't be too hot then.



This recipe is really easy, and I followed it pretty much as written. The only changes I had to make were I finely chopped a granny smith apple in place of the dried apple. I also pureed apple in my food processor because I didn't have apple juice. I was afraid the pureed apple wouldn't result in enough liquid, but it worked out fine. The only comment I have on making these is expect a very sticky dough. It's hard to shape into a rectangle because it's so sticky. I ended up shaping it into a rectangle and cutting them with my bench scraper. The resulting scones would not have been pretty; so I heavily floured a round cookie cutter, and I squished the scones into that to get a round shape.

I really liked these scones. I wish the apple flavor was more pronounced, but I'm sure if I had used dried apples it would have been. The scones were extremely tender and delicious warm. Next time I make these, I'll grate an extra ¼ cup of cheese, and sprinkle cheese on top of the scones before baking.

Side note, I'm having major problems with blogger and my computer. I haven't been able to post more than a couple of comments on other people's blogs without getting mulitiple error messages. I've contacted blogger, and they're working on the problem. I have been looking at everyone's blogs though, and everyone is so inspiring. Hopefully I can get this problem fixed soon, and I'll be back to commenting on your beautiful work!

Here are some pictures:

The chopped apple:





Dry Ingredients:



The pureed apple:



Before going in the oven:



Wow, the baking soda and powder sure worked:



Apple Cheddar Scones in all their glory:


12 comments on "TWD Apple Cheddar Scones"

Anonymous said...

I'm finding myself baking more at night. Too hot! Your scones are so nice and golden.

Dolores on July 2, 2008 at 12:43 PM said...

Your scones would be *worth* getting up at 5 AM for. :) Great job!

kimberly salem on July 2, 2008 at 1:18 PM said...

wow, getting up at 5am is definitely dedication!! beautiful job on the scones and i like the extra cheese idea! :)

Engineer Baker on July 2, 2008 at 1:25 PM said...

Pureed apple is a wonderful way to get around a lack of apple cider - great idea! And I feel your pain, my apartment gets waaay too hot when I bake in the summer.

allison on July 2, 2008 at 5:37 PM said...

Your scones are beautiful. I think fresh-baked apple cheddar scones for breakfast would have been perfect!

Jules Someone on July 2, 2008 at 5:42 PM said...

Mmmmmm. Those look lovely! Nice idea on the pureed apple.

Anonymous said...

Very nice, I quite like that they're round.

That Girl on July 3, 2008 at 12:30 AM said...

I love the perfect roundness of them!

Bungalow Barbara on July 3, 2008 at 1:32 AM said...

Lovely and yummy! I used dried apple and even so they weren't all that "apple-y." I'm thinking of increasing both apples and cheese next time, too.

LyB on July 3, 2008 at 9:11 AM said...

Squishing your scones into a round cookie cutter was a great idea, they look perfect!

Mari on July 7, 2008 at 3:00 PM said...

The pureed apple angle sounds good, I bet they were even tastier!

Prudy on July 8, 2008 at 9:13 AM said...

Beautiful scones. I'd be willing to get up at 5 to EAT one.

 

Bake-En Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez