Tuesday, June 24, 2008

TWD Mixed Stone Fruit Cobbler

Posted by BAKE-EN at 7:20 PM

Remember in college when you had to completely clean your room from top to bottom before you could even consider studying? I don't know why, but I just HAD to clean my kitchen today BEFORE making the cobbler from Baking from My Home to Yours. I know it was pretty clean to being with, but when I have the cleaning bug (rarely happens, must be a full moon); I have to clean everything. Now with all my appliances dusted, dishes sparkling, floor gleaming as only a clean floor can… I will get flour everywhere J

Beth of Our Sweet Life chose Dorie's Mixed Berry Cobbler
(pages 416-417) as this weeks TWD recipe. I was really excited to make this recipe till I went to the grocery store and discovered the berries are a bit out of my budget right now. Luckily, the stone fruits were on sale, and they looked surprisingly good for this time of year.

I decided to cut the recipe in half because a cobbler that serves 8 is a little too much for two people. It's not that we can't eat 8 servings, it's that we can (and would), so I halved it. The thing about the topping I changed was I used whole milk instead of cream. After adding the milk, I realized I should have either upped the flour or decreased the liquid. My cobbler topping was a bit on the mushy side, but it came out fine anyway J

For the fruit filling, I used white and yellow peaches, yellow nectarines and beautiful red/purple plums. I decided to leave the skin on the plums because I knew the color would permeate the filling making it a gorgeous color. I did remove the skin on the peaches and nectarines though because Joe doesn't like the texture of skin in baked goods. I followed Dorie's sugar/cornstarch ratio except I used brown sugar instead of plain-old granulated.

The results were good. I guess when it comes down to it, if I have great fruit I prefer to make pies instead of cobblers. That being said, if I'm ever in a crunch, I would make this again.


Here are some photos:

The flour-butter mixture before adding the milk:




After the milk addition:





The lovely fruits:





The fruit after being sliced and adding the brown sugar/cornstarch (and a pinch of salt):





With the topping in the oven:





Viola:





16 comments on "TWD Mixed Stone Fruit Cobbler"

Susie Homemaker on June 24, 2008 at 8:54 PM said...

Stone fruit...excellent choice!!
Great color and looks delish!

Engineer Baker on June 24, 2008 at 8:59 PM said...

I love the stone fruit combo, it sounds delicious!

Anonymous said...

Ah, that fruit combo sounds delicious. Good to know it can be halved without any problems.

Amy on June 24, 2008 at 11:33 PM said...

Your fruit combo sounds wonderful. Your photos look great too!

Bumblebutton on June 24, 2008 at 11:42 PM said...

Looks delicious, and hey, you seem to still have a clean kitchen! Wish I did...

Jules Someone on June 24, 2008 at 11:50 PM said...

Looks delicious! I love how flexible this recipe is!

Anonymous said...

Excellent choice of fruits - I did peach only.

Sigh, cleaning the kitchen feels so redundant sometimes - when it's super sparkly that's when the powdered sugar goes flying!

ostwestwind on June 25, 2008 at 9:14 AM said...

Great fruit choice which ends in a delicious looking cobbler.

Ulrike from Küchenlatein

kimberly salem on June 25, 2008 at 10:59 AM said...

yum, your choice of fruit sounds delicious!!

That Girl on June 25, 2008 at 12:59 PM said...

Not only did I have to clean my whole apartment before studying, many times I determined it was necessary to clean my boyfriend's apartment also.

Anonymous said...

We'd like to invite you to participate in our July berry recipe contest. All competitors will be placed on our blogroll, and the winner will receive a fun prize! Please email me, sophiekiblogger@gmail.com, if you're interested. Feel free to check out our blog for more details. (Click on my name in the message header link to visit our blog. :)

Dolores on June 25, 2008 at 3:04 PM said...

I look at these challenges as learning experiences... it's fine to try a recipe and decide that you like something else better.

I love your selection of stone fruit... I will have to try that sometime soon.

Heather B on June 25, 2008 at 6:35 PM said...

Great fruit combo! It looks tasty! Great job!

Bungalow Barbara on June 28, 2008 at 6:04 PM said...

Your stone fruit combo sounds wonderful -- I'll have to try it later on this summer. And a moist dough makes the lightest, fluffiest biscuit topping!

The Kitchen Vixen on July 1, 2008 at 1:21 PM said...

wow this looked wonderful. i dont like cobbler, but this would be a great dish to bring to a summer party.

Anonymous said...

Hi Michele :),

This is Sophie from the Key Ingredient contest. If you're still interested in participating in our berry contest, please email me (at sophiekiblogger@gmail.com) with the name of your blog and your email address, so I can give you contest updates :).

Thanks,
Sophie

 

Bake-En Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez