Tuesday, June 24, 2008

TWD Mixed Stone Fruit Cobbler

Posted by BAKE-EN at 7:20 PM

Remember in college when you had to completely clean your room from top to bottom before you could even consider studying? I don't know why, but I just HAD to clean my kitchen today BEFORE making the cobbler from Baking from My Home to Yours. I know it was pretty clean to being with, but when I have the cleaning bug (rarely happens, must be a full moon); I have to clean everything. Now with all my appliances dusted, dishes sparkling, floor gleaming as only a clean floor can… I will get flour everywhere J

Beth of Our Sweet Life chose Dorie's Mixed Berry Cobbler
(pages 416-417) as this weeks TWD recipe. I was really excited to make this recipe till I went to the grocery store and discovered the berries are a bit out of my budget right now. Luckily, the stone fruits were on sale, and they looked surprisingly good for this time of year.

I decided to cut the recipe in half because a cobbler that serves 8 is a little too much for two people. It's not that we can't eat 8 servings, it's that we can (and would), so I halved it. The thing about the topping I changed was I used whole milk instead of cream. After adding the milk, I realized I should have either upped the flour or decreased the liquid. My cobbler topping was a bit on the mushy side, but it came out fine anyway J

For the fruit filling, I used white and yellow peaches, yellow nectarines and beautiful red/purple plums. I decided to leave the skin on the plums because I knew the color would permeate the filling making it a gorgeous color. I did remove the skin on the peaches and nectarines though because Joe doesn't like the texture of skin in baked goods. I followed Dorie's sugar/cornstarch ratio except I used brown sugar instead of plain-old granulated.

The results were good. I guess when it comes down to it, if I have great fruit I prefer to make pies instead of cobblers. That being said, if I'm ever in a crunch, I would make this again.


Here are some photos:

The flour-butter mixture before adding the milk:




After the milk addition:





The lovely fruits:





The fruit after being sliced and adding the brown sugar/cornstarch (and a pinch of salt):





With the topping in the oven:





Viola:





16 comments on "TWD Mixed Stone Fruit Cobbler"

Susie Homemaker on June 24, 2008 at 8:54 PM said...

Stone fruit...excellent choice!!
Great color and looks delish!

Engineer Baker on June 24, 2008 at 8:59 PM said...

I love the stone fruit combo, it sounds delicious!

Rebecca on June 24, 2008 at 9:37 PM said...

Ah, that fruit combo sounds delicious. Good to know it can be halved without any problems.

Amy on June 24, 2008 at 11:33 PM said...

Your fruit combo sounds wonderful. Your photos look great too!

Bumblebutton on June 24, 2008 at 11:42 PM said...

Looks delicious, and hey, you seem to still have a clean kitchen! Wish I did...

Jules Someone on June 24, 2008 at 11:50 PM said...

Looks delicious! I love how flexible this recipe is!

Megan said...

Excellent choice of fruits - I did peach only.

Sigh, cleaning the kitchen feels so redundant sometimes - when it's super sparkly that's when the powdered sugar goes flying!

ostwestwind on June 25, 2008 at 9:14 AM said...

Great fruit choice which ends in a delicious looking cobbler.

Ulrike from Küchenlatein

kim on June 25, 2008 at 10:59 AM said...

yum, your choice of fruit sounds delicious!!

That Girl on June 25, 2008 at 12:59 PM said...

Not only did I have to clean my whole apartment before studying, many times I determined it was necessary to clean my boyfriend's apartment also.

Sophie on June 25, 2008 at 1:46 PM said...

We'd like to invite you to participate in our July berry recipe contest. All competitors will be placed on our blogroll, and the winner will receive a fun prize! Please email me, sophiekiblogger@gmail.com, if you're interested. Feel free to check out our blog for more details. (Click on my name in the message header link to visit our blog. :)

Dolores on June 25, 2008 at 3:04 PM said...

I look at these challenges as learning experiences... it's fine to try a recipe and decide that you like something else better.

I love your selection of stone fruit... I will have to try that sometime soon.

Heather B on June 25, 2008 at 6:35 PM said...

Great fruit combo! It looks tasty! Great job!

Barbara on June 28, 2008 at 6:04 PM said...

Your stone fruit combo sounds wonderful -- I'll have to try it later on this summer. And a moist dough makes the lightest, fluffiest biscuit topping!

The Kitchen Vixen on July 1, 2008 at 1:21 PM said...

wow this looked wonderful. i dont like cobbler, but this would be a great dish to bring to a summer party.

Sophie on July 15, 2008 at 1:16 PM said...

Hi Michele :),

This is Sophie from the Key Ingredient contest. If you're still interested in participating in our berry contest, please email me (at sophiekiblogger@gmail.com) with the name of your blog and your email address, so I can give you contest updates :).

Thanks,
Sophie

 

Bake-En Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez