Tuesday, July 8, 2008

TWD Double Crusted Blueberry Pie

Posted by BAKE-EN at 3:20 PM

Amy of South in Your Mouth selected Double Crusted Blueberry Pie as this week's TWD recipe. I had every intention to make this pie myself until the heat and humidity in my apartment reached the level of, too hot to bake. I swear if I turned on the oven my husband would either:

  1. Have me sent to an insane asylum, or
  2. Called a divorce lawyer

Luckily when I lived in California some of my pastry friends and I would have baking parties. We would bake either certain types of items, or different items from the same cookbook. The gods must have been shining on me the day we had a pie party, and my good friend Wendy made Dorie's Double Crusted Blueberry pie. Even better, I had my camera and took notes because I was planning on blogging about it. Nothing like a cross country move to get in the way of intentions to blog J

That day 5 of us got together, and we had a number of different pies. Annie made an apricot crumb pie while she was at work from random ingredients she had on hand. Darcie made two pies, one a coconut macadamia cream from Pie Pie Pie: Easy Homemade Favorites by John Phillip Carroll, and a peach raspberry pie which she created herself. Erin made an apricot pie which she "baked" in her (smoker) egg because her oven died that week. She found her recipe in Provence: The Beautiful Cookbook by Richard Olney. I made a peach pie with cream cheese crust from The Pie and Pastry Bible.

Overall, we liked the Blueberry pie the best. The flavor and crust were awesome. Dorie get's a lot of credit for this recipe, but really Wendy is an amazing baker (chocolatier and slave to TFL as well-he he); so I'm sure she added some special secret touches. Wendy has a gift for producing the most amazing dessert items in a fraction of the time it would take a normal person. As for the other pies, Darcie's coconut macadamia cream pie was a real standout. Erin and Annie's pies were great with amazing fruit flavor. My pie was good, but I hate how complicated the directions were for the cream cheese dough…a bit much if you ask me J. The peach flavor was a great compliment to the cream cheese dough though.

Please enjoy the pictures below:

Dorie/Wendy's blueberry pie:





Erin's apricot pie:




Darcie's coconut macadamia cream and peach raspberry pies:






Annie's apricot crumb pie:





My Peach Pie:





Slices of all the pies:






16 comments on "TWD Double Crusted Blueberry Pie"

Amy on July 8, 2008 at 4:42 PM said...

Well that worked out well, huh? Glad y'all liked Dorie's recipe! All the pies look great!

Bumblebutton on July 8, 2008 at 6:05 PM said...

You must be a fortune-teller! The heat and humidity IS unbearable in Boston these days--I had to bake my pie super early before it got hot.

Anonymous said...

Well, I did enjoy those photos very much...and can I please have one of those sampler plates? That looks very inviting and fun!

Sherry Trifle - Lovely Cats on July 8, 2008 at 7:13 PM said...

What a wonderful idea to have a bake-in with friends. Glad you liked the blueberry pie the best.

Engineer Baker on July 8, 2008 at 8:26 PM said...

Dangit, I want a pie party! Sounds like fabulous fun!

Steph on July 8, 2008 at 8:27 PM said...

That's exactly how my family feels about me. The other day, my mom was just showing me how much her electricity bill went up since I've been baking up a storm.

It must be so much fun to have a pie party. At least you can all gain 10 pounds together!

Anonymous said...

That sounds like so much fun! Maybe once I finish moving I can round up some people for a baking party. YUM.

Jules Someone on July 8, 2008 at 10:58 PM said...

Man, I want friends like yours! Glad your marriage was saved!

Linda on July 8, 2008 at 11:29 PM said...

what a terrific pie-fest...all of them look delicious!

steph- whisk/spoon on July 9, 2008 at 1:28 AM said...

mmm...i'd like to try each one!

ostwestwind on July 9, 2008 at 2:56 AM said...

All pies look so delcious! I'd like to try all versions

lrike from Küchenlatein

Mari on July 9, 2008 at 4:50 AM said...

That's my kinda party!! All your pies look gorgeous!

That Girl on July 9, 2008 at 1:00 PM said...

I wanna go to a pie party!

Unknown on July 10, 2008 at 8:56 PM said...

A pie party...genius!

Bungalow Barbara on July 13, 2008 at 10:34 PM said...

A Pie Party, what a great idea!

The P & A Food Chronicles on July 22, 2008 at 11:00 AM said...

your career change seem cool.. thats almost me, except i realized it in the middle of my junior year in college!!
i study pastry this time.. graduating next may!!
did you find it hard to find a job in this sector?

 

Bake-En Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez