Tuesday, June 2, 2009

TWD Cinnamon Squares

Posted by BAKE-EN at 6:15 PM
Tracey of Tracey’s Culinary Adventures chose Cinnamon Squares as this weeks TWD recipe. Visit her blog to find the recipe.




I've spent the last two days traveling back and forth from Boston to Vermont, so I thought there was no way I could fit this recipe in. Well, after a quick look at just how easy it was to make I decided there was no way I couldn't make this recipe. Essentially, you mix your dries together, then add your wet ingredients, then follow by folding in some cooled melted butter. I think all together it took me about 10 minutes to assemble my ingredients, make the batter and get the cake in the oven. That was fast.

Since this cake is all about cinnamon, I decided to head over to my local Penzeys store in Arlington, MA and pick up some special cinnamon. I bought their Extra Fancy Vietnamese Cassia Cinnamon ($7.65 for 4 oz). It has a lovely aroma, and a powerful cinnamon flavor. It was the perfect spice for this cake.

I followed the recipe as written except I halved it, and baked it in a 4" round cake pan. It took 40 minutes to bake at 350.





Instead of making the chocolate frosting, I decided to make a simple cinnamon glaze. For the glaze I put confectioners sugar, a dash of milk and a big pinch of cinnamon in the bowl and whisked together till smooth.

9 comments on "TWD Cinnamon Squares"

Pamela on June 2, 2009 at 8:22 PM said...

I have been meaning to order some things from Penzeys and that cinnamon is on the list. I think the glaze looks really good and was probably a great match for the cake. Well done! Get some rest! :o)

Melissa on June 2, 2009 at 8:36 PM said...

It looks so pretty with the glaze. I love your little mini version!

Audrey on June 2, 2009 at 9:11 PM said...

I like your mini, too - and your glaze. I remember when the Penzeys in Arlington first opened...there was such a big buzz about where they should open their first store. I've only been there once, but I did find a Penzey's in Grand Central Station, of all places! I came home from my business trip with a briefcase full of spices!

Unknown on June 2, 2009 at 10:07 PM said...

Thanks for baking with me this week! I am so excited - I had no idea there was a Penzeys in Arlington! That's fantastic! I used their Vietnamese Cassia Cinnamon too :) I love the glaze you made - it looks so yummy!

Anonymous said...

OMG, I could swim in that cinnamon glaze! (well, if I knew how to swim) It looks so delish!

Anonymous said...

Your glaze sounds yummy. I hope you're done traveling back and forth.

Cynthia on June 3, 2009 at 6:17 PM said...

Nice idea to change up the topping. The chocolate was a little intense.

Karen on June 3, 2009 at 8:01 PM said...

That glaze sounds really great!

TeaLady on June 3, 2009 at 11:04 PM said...

UUUU!!!!! I love the cinnamon glaze. I think this would have made it amazing.

 

Bake-En Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez