Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Chocolate Amaretti Torte

Posted by BAKE-EN at 6:56 AM



Today's TWD recipe 15 minute chocolate amaretti torte was chosen by Holly of Phe/MOM/enon.

I went to Formaggio Kitchen in Cambridge, MA looking for Amaretti cookies. Formaggio is one of the places I've been trying to go to for a while, but because of parking issues haven't. The weather on Saturday was pretty bad, so I decided to take my chances and park in a resident only spot. I have found that in Cambridge there is a direct correlation between weather and parking tickets. Good weather = tons of tickets. Bad weather = less tickets. I knew I would be in and out quickly, so I wasn't too worried. They had an assortment of amaretti cookies, but not the ones Dorie suggested. I purchased Doria Amaretti cookies, and I'm glad I did. I am surprised how much I liked these little cookies. They are so crisp and slightly over baked; in the extra-caramelized-kind-of-way that I love. The back of the bag suggests dipping the cookies in red wine. We tried this, but decided they are much better alone or dipped in milk. We like our red wine without cookie crumbs.

The torte truly lived up to it's name. From start to finish it was in the oven in 15 minutes. Making it reminded me of why I splurged on a food processor last year. It made the whole "process" so easy. The recipe says the cake takes 25-30 minutes to bake. My cake ended up baking an extra 4 minutes (34 total) with a knife coming out with some streaks.


The next morning I made the chocolate glaze, which was easy too. I love that the recipe suggests putting the chocolate in a "pourable" container. It makes glazing the cake so easy.






Overall, this was a delicious cake. Since I knew it would be extremely rich; I cut the cake into 12 slices. The portion size was just perfect; anything bigger would have resulted in leftover cake on plates (ugh!). As far as cake goes, I prefer traditional cakes to tortes. To me, traditional American style cakes (think devils food with vanilla butter cream) are more satisfying because you can eat more! That being said; I will make this cake again because other people loved it; and well, it's not always about me.





 


 

17 comments on "Chocolate Amaretti Torte"

Pamela on April 14, 2009 at 8:35 AM said...

Yup...I'm already sorry I missed this one. Looks great!

Cristine on April 14, 2009 at 8:36 AM said...

Your cake looks great! It is a good recipe to keep around since it is tasty and doesn't take long to make! :)

Teanna on April 14, 2009 at 10:43 AM said...

The quenelles on top are gorgeous! I can't do those for the life of me! The cake looks delicious!

TeaLady on April 14, 2009 at 11:48 AM said...

That looks just like the fancy cakes you buy with the little papers between the slices. Very elegant. Yummy!

Welcome to our crazy blessed life on April 14, 2009 at 11:53 AM said...

This was super rich. The slice I cut for my daughter was probably the right size for me! :)Your torte looks beautiful!

Heather on April 14, 2009 at 1:27 PM said...

Great pictures! Looks delicious.

Kara on April 14, 2009 at 1:36 PM said...

So funny - I actually prefer torte to cake. I think cake is too .. cakey. *grin* But I'm with you on the smaller slices. When I figured nutritional value on these, I figured it for 8 portions, but I'm thinking 12 would be much more reasonable. Very very rich - and yummy.

Anonymous said...

12 slices make the perfect portion! Your torte looks fantastic. I love the way you decorated it.

PheMom on April 14, 2009 at 6:13 PM said...

Your torte turned out beautiful! I am actually usually more of a cake girl myself, but I was really curious about this one. Thanks for baking along with me!

Heather on April 14, 2009 at 7:09 PM said...

That is one beautiful cake! I love the way you have presented it.

Peggy on April 14, 2009 at 9:48 PM said...

Your ganache looks so yummy. Nice and thick and chocolatey. I'm so glad I made this one. Loved it.

Unknown on April 15, 2009 at 1:04 AM said...

That first picture with the slices already cut is so pretty! I'm with you though - I prefer a traditional cake to something like this.

mike on April 15, 2009 at 3:07 PM said...

What a beaut! Looks so professionally sliced - and the decorations are perfect for this time of year. Nicely done!

steph- whisk/spoon on April 15, 2009 at 3:21 PM said...

looks great--i love when i can combine making a recipe with a fun outing to a nice food shop!

Jin Hooi on April 15, 2009 at 6:49 PM said...

Looks great , well done and i really love the decoration of the cake.

Leslie on April 16, 2009 at 7:51 PM said...

Looks beautiful! I like how the glaze still has a shine but is clearly set. Very nice!

Bungalow Barbara on April 16, 2009 at 8:18 PM said...

Beautiful!

 

Bake-En Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez