Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Book Review: The Bread Bible

Posted by BAKE-EN at 3:53 PM

I have found a lot of inspiration from Beth Hensperger's The Bread Bible lately, so I thought I would give a quick review of it.

Pros:

-There are 300 recipes in this book from coffe cakes, to pizza, to whole grain loaves, to biscuits to bread machine. It truely covers a lot of dough.
-Though I've only tried 1% of the recipes, so far so good.
-Lots of unusual recipes. Next up on my list to make is Lemon whole-wheat egg bread with nasturtium butter. Any cookbook that finds a use for edible flowers has a special place in my bookshelf (and heart).

Cons:

-No pictures, except for the cover.
-I wish it had a section on each recipe where it says total time it takes to make the dough. Also, I love how King Arthurs Flour has a symbol on their recipes where a dough needs to rest overnight. I think all cookbooks should do that.
-You have to read the beginning of the book if you've never made bread before. I know this sounds strange, but she gives all her helpful tips on kneeding, proofing, etc in the beginning. I could see that confusing people who are used to reading a recipe and immediately making it.

Overall: If you're even remotely interested in bread baking, buy this book. The recipes are well laid out and simple. So far I've made her gingerbread, oatmeal bulgur bread and sour cream braid; and they were great. This is a book I plan to bake from again and again.



1 comments on "Book Review: The Bread Bible"

Audrey on April 29, 2009 at 9:49 PM said...

I don't know if they're all in this book (I have it, but others of hers too!) but I've made her French bread and her lemon-blueberry (quick) bread (it's on my blog), and there are lots of little bookmarks stuck in the pages! I'll look forward to seeing what else you try!

 

Bake-En Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez