Tuesday, February 10, 2009

TWD Floating Islands

Posted by BAKE-EN at 5:20 PM


Floating Islands have always perplexed me. When I think of the islands, I envision blue skies, teal sea water and luscious brightly colored fruit. Why then, is the traditional floating island such a bland looking dessert? White meringues floating on beige anglaise is tasty, but kind of boring to look at. Today I decided to vamp up my floating islands by first poaching them in milk infused with toasted coconut, then floating the meringues atop a pinapple sage soup.

I did follow Dorie's recipe for the meringues which were easy to make and to poach. For the poaching liquid, I toasted some shredded coconut (about ¾ cup), and I infused some skim milk with the toasted coconut. I did that by bringing the milk with the toasted coconut in it to a boil and then turning the heat off and letting it infuse for about 30 minutes. Next I strained my milk/coconut mixture and poached the islands. I was immediately unimpressed with the meringue. I don't know if I only like Italian meringue, or if my whites weren't that great, but all I could taste was egg after poaching. I also tried poaching them for different periods of time, but that didn't seem to help. Once I was done poaching liquid, I strained it again, so I could use it in the soup. For the pineapple sage soup, I pureed a quarter of a pineapple with a sage leaf and pureed it in a food processor. Next I added some brown sugar and the flesh and juice of a blood orange, a pinch of salt, the coconut infused milk and a couple good sized spoonfuls of yogurt to give it more tang. Once that was fully pureed, I strained the soup and refrigerated it. While I was doing all that I diced some pineapple, tossed it in turbinado and baked it till caramelized (like candy). I also, cut thin slices of pineapple and dried them out in the microwave.




I love the soup that I made. All of the components worked beautifully together. I dropped the candied pieces of pineapple in the soup right before serving. I was hoping they would float, but they fell to the bottom so you can't see them in the picture. They were a lovely addition of texture to the soup. The soup was great, but I didn't feel the same way about the islands. They were way too eggy for me. Unless I hear countless rave reviews from other TWDers I won't make these again.



 

8 comments on "TWD Floating Islands"

That Girl on February 10, 2009 at 5:45 PM said...

I think you may be a little advanced for the floating island class ;-) I'm sure it's just a reference to the fact that they float in the middle of a body of liquid ;-)

Unknown on February 10, 2009 at 6:08 PM said...

Wow, great job! I bet pineapple and coconut were great additions. I'm with you on the meringue.

Pamela on February 10, 2009 at 6:11 PM said...

I'm quite impressed! You really did a great job.

Audrey on February 10, 2009 at 7:46 PM said...

This is so pretty! I have to agree that I liked the creme anglaise more than the meringues - but something creamy with the meringues is such a great combination.

Anonymous said...

I love chilled soups and the pineapple sage soup sounds delicious.

Shari on February 11, 2009 at 8:33 PM said...

Wow, I love your tropical-themed floating islands. Sounds absolutely delicious. Too bad you didn't like the meringue puffs, though!

TeaLady on February 11, 2009 at 8:50 PM said...

That took some time and lots of dedication and creativity. Wow!!! Too bad you didn't care for the islands, tho. They look yummy in that soup.

Bungalow Barbara on March 3, 2009 at 9:38 PM said...

Wow! How creative! Maybe you can use the pineapple soup idea again with something else -- it sounds fabulous!

 

Bake-En Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez