Tuesday, October 14, 2008

TWD Lenox Almond Biscotti

Posted by BAKE-EN at 9:10 AM



I've made a lot of biscotti recipes over the past few years. They were on my production list when I worked at Bouchon, so I've made literally thousands of them. I once made 5 different kinds of biscotti for everyone I knew as Christmas gifts. All that being said, I love really good biscotti. My definition of good biscotti is a cookie that's firm on the outside, but still a little soft on the inside. I hate biscotti that cause me to contemplate calling the dentist, as in; did I just break my tooth on this thing?

After reading Dorie's description of these cookies, I decided they were a must try. At first I was going to make one of the playing around recipes, but when I read that she makes these cookies in double batches twice a week, I thought maybe I should try the original recipe first. I'm glad I did. The recipe itself is really easy. Basically cream butter & sugar, add eggs, add dry, fold in nuts. One thing that surprised me was that Dorie didn't call for resting the dough. I find that biscotti dough firms up, and is easier to form into a log if you let it rest in the fridge for a while. That being said, I followed Dorie's directions, and I formed the logs right after making the dough.



They were a little sticky, but easy enough to shape. I was surprised by how much my biscotti spread in the oven, but they ended up looking great once I cut them.





This turned out to be one of the most delicious biscotti's I've ever eaten. The almond flavor is amazing, it actually tastes like there's almond paste in the cookies because they're so tender on the inside. I found Dorie's description of them to be true "crunchy but not rock solid, dippable, dunkable and eminently munchable." Many thanks to Gretchen of Canela & Comino for choosing this recipe. Because of you, Gretchen, I was able to justify eating a cookie for breakfast this morning. Anyone interested in making this recipe, can find it on Gretchen's website.



21 comments on "TWD Lenox Almond Biscotti"

Anonymous said...

hey, any time you need help justifying eating a cookie for breakfast, just send me a note. i've got a rolodex of reasons. :) they really are wonderful, aren't they? yours look fantastic!

Engineer Baker on October 14, 2008 at 10:38 AM said...

After baking all of those biscotti, these were your favorite? Score another one for Dorie :)

Cathy on October 14, 2008 at 10:52 AM said...

It is so great to hear your review of these, given the extensive experience you have with making lots of different biscotti! I thought these were amazing too, but I don't have your frame of reference! I am glad to know that they really are THAT GOOD!! Yours look perfect!

chocolatechic on October 14, 2008 at 11:35 AM said...

Yours are gorgeous too.

Mine spread twice as much as yours did.

Gretchen Noelle on October 14, 2008 at 11:53 AM said...

Always glad to help people eat cookies for breakfast! So glad you enjoyed these. You give great justification for trying the original recipe, I shall have to do that sometime soon!

Flourchild on October 14, 2008 at 1:01 PM said...

Perfect biscotti. Im so glad you liked them.

Pamela on October 14, 2008 at 1:42 PM said...

They do look absolutely perfect. I love them hanging out in that cup. I think biscotti will definitely be in the mix for the cookie trays at Christmas.

Marthe on October 14, 2008 at 3:29 PM said...

Your biscotti are perfect!! And the cup you serve them in is sooo cute! I want one!! hahah

kimberly salem on October 14, 2008 at 4:04 PM said...

glad to hear a review from a biscotti expert! :) these are the only biscotti i've ever really liked, so i guess they are really that good!

Welcome to our crazy blessed life on October 14, 2008 at 5:11 PM said...

love the teacup with the monogram! :)

~Kimberly on October 14, 2008 at 5:13 PM said...

I'm with ya on the crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside! Love the teacup by the way! Great job!

Cynthia on October 14, 2008 at 6:12 PM said...

Nice cookies and thought your comments were helpful.

Prudy on October 14, 2008 at 7:14 PM said...

Those are just lovely! I honestly eat a healthy breakfast ONLY on the days that I don't have cookies around. A cookie is my very best breakfast. Those pears above have the loveliest name. It makes me want to take a moonlit walk tonight and pluck a pear from a tree. On second thought, I'd rather stay home and eat your apple crisp.

Fit Chick on October 14, 2008 at 8:51 PM said...

Thank you for your comments and insite. I thought these were very good; will take your advise and maybe let rest in refrig for awhile.

Leslie on October 14, 2008 at 9:11 PM said...

Your biscotti look amazing! Glad you loved the recipe, too.

Bungalow Barbara on October 14, 2008 at 9:14 PM said...

Glad you like these, especially with all your biscotti experience!

That Girl on October 14, 2008 at 10:40 PM said...

biscotti are my mom's specialty. I should pass this along to her.

steph- whisk/spoon on October 15, 2008 at 3:04 AM said...

they look fabulous--if you worked at bouchon, sounds like you are a biscotti pro! :)

Anonymous said...

I agree, these are great. I'm making an absolute pig of myself with them!

Shari on October 15, 2008 at 3:42 PM said...

It's good to know these ranked up there with all the other biscotti you've made!

AmyRuth on October 17, 2008 at 1:58 AM said...

Since so many of us are first time biscotti bakers/eaters, its reassuring to have a sense of comparison in the biscotti world. I knew I really liked these either way. Yours really look pretty.
AmyRuth

I love the almond flavoring.

 

Bake-En Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez