Tuesday, October 7, 2008

TWD Caramel Peanut Topped Brownie Cake

Posted by BAKE-EN at 4:43 AM

How fabulous is this cake?







  1. I've made it 4 times in the past year.
  2. Peanut butter, caramel and chocolate.
  3. Beautiful, shiny caramel topping for extra sparkle.
  4. It's impossible to have just one piece.

Someone had to pick this recipe, and I'm glad that Tammy of Wee Treats by Tammy did just that. I can't wait to see how much the other TWD'ers loved this recipe.

The recipe is very straight forward. I have a few pointers to help anyone who is going to make this cake based on my own experience.

  1. Make sure to not overcook your cake. When you think about it, it's a brownie cake, and honestly; who doesn't love a brownie that's a little underdone? I made the mistake of drinking a little too much vino while making the cake for Thanksgiving last year. Oops, I left it in the oven a little too long. It wasn't burned, but it was too dry for my liking.
  2. Watch your caramel very closely. It can go from beautiful amber to bitter black very quickly. Also, never add cold cream to a caramel. It results in major caramel eruptions. Instead, slightly warm the cream, or at least make sure it's room temp. The caramel will still sputter when the cream is added, but not nearly as much as it would if adding cold cream.

I hope everyone enjoyed this cake as much as I have in the past.





23 comments on "TWD Caramel Peanut Topped Brownie Cake"

Engineer Baker on October 7, 2008 at 4:50 AM said...

Wow, four times?!? Sounds (and looks!) like a definite winner.

Anonymous said...

My cake came out a little dry for my liking too even though I cooked it for 5 minutes less than the time in Dorie's recipe. I like my brownies moist and chewy. I will definitely make this again but watching for the perfect level of moistness.

Your cake is a beauty!

Amanda on October 7, 2008 at 7:42 AM said...

Thanks so much for the tips! This is my first week with TWD so I'm a little nervous about the carmel and the dry cake.

chocolatechic on October 7, 2008 at 9:44 AM said...

Yours looks lovely.

Marthe on October 7, 2008 at 10:23 AM said...

Wow, your cake looks nice and golden caramelly!!

Anonymous said...

Four times! I think I'll definitely make this once or twice more before the year is done! It is delicious! I agree, they could be a bit more moist, though!

That Girl on October 7, 2008 at 11:09 AM said...

My husband saw the picture over my shoulder and keeps asking why I don't make peanut brittle. He might be a bit off.

vibi on October 7, 2008 at 1:08 PM said...

It looks like a masterpiece, sitting right in the middle of the pic!
Perfect!

Anonymous said...

Yum! Your caramel looks delicious! 4 times in one year, wow! The most I've ever made something is twice, I'm so distracted by all the wonderful and delicious things to make. :P

Flourchild on October 7, 2008 at 4:29 PM said...

Great looking cake there Michelle! I made mine with a fudge pecan topping but I think I may try her recipe topping after reading your tips. I heard so many issues with the caramel, it scared me :0)

Welcome to our crazy blessed life on October 7, 2008 at 4:57 PM said...

Great tips! :) Your cake looks delicious!

Tammy on October 7, 2008 at 5:01 PM said...

your cake looks fab! thanks for making my pick

Sherry Trifle - Lovely Cats on October 7, 2008 at 6:24 PM said...

Beautiful Cake! Good job.

Sherry Trifle - Lovely Cats on October 7, 2008 at 6:25 PM said...

Beautiful Cake! Good job.

Sihan on October 8, 2008 at 3:42 AM said...

some great advice there! hmph.. i'm not so keen on this one though. But looks pretty good juding from the looks of it. hmph.. maybe i'll reconsider

Mari on October 8, 2008 at 9:06 AM said...

My cakes were super dry, so I must have over-baked them. Next time better!

kimberly salem on October 8, 2008 at 12:44 PM said...

thanks for all of the tips! great advice. i will definitely not overbake next time. your cake looks so delicious :)

Anonymous said...

Your cake looks fabulous! I am going to make it again!

Cherie
Giveaways on my blog!
http:www.craftyjuicebroker.wordpress.com

Sale in my Etsy Store!
http:www.craftyjuicebroker.etsy.com

Sandy Smith on October 8, 2008 at 4:15 PM said...

This looks wonderful! Great advice to warm the cream!

Pamela on October 9, 2008 at 8:27 AM said...

Wow! The cake looks great and I might be a little jealous that you've had it 4 times! Thanks for the cream and caramel tip. I'm still working on mastering the art of caramel.

Anonymous said...

This looks fabulous! I want to make it over and over again too!

Shari on October 10, 2008 at 8:52 AM said...

Great tips!

Shari on October 10, 2008 at 8:52 AM said...

Great tips!

 

Bake-En Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez