Tuesday, August 12, 2008

TWD Blueberry Sour Cream Ice Cream

Posted by BAKE-EN at 6:20 PM

Dolores of Chronicles in Culinary Curiosity chose Blueberry Sour Cream Ice Cream (page 434) as this week's TWD recipe. I'm in the middle of a very busy month, so I was excited to see that such an easy recipe had been chosen. Also exciting, was that I used my ice cream maker for the first time this year. Funny though, because after making this recipe; I remembered why it's been in hiding. I really don't like the way my Cuisinart ice cream maker freezes. The blade doesn't touch the wall of the frozen container, so it leaves a ring of frozen ice cream around the container that never gets incorporated. Small gripe, but anyone out there looking to purchase an ice cream maker stay away from the Cuisinart Frozen Yogurt and Ice Cream maker, it usually retails on sale for about $70.

Now onto more important things, like ice cream. It was extremely easy to put together. Simply bring blueberries, sugar, lemon juice and zest to a boil till the blueberries explode. Whirl the blueberry mixture in a blender for about a minute. Finally, add the sour cream and heavy cream to the mixture and blend till just combined. Chill in the refridgerator (I did this overnight), and then process in the ice cream maker.

Fresh blueberries are my most favorite food to snack on, so I had a feeling I would like this ice cream. It was so good. My only complaint is that it was pretty hard and kind of crystallized, but I'm blaming that on my ice cream maker. I'm sure that if I was to spin this ice cream base in a commercial ice cream maker it would be even more delicious.

I'll have pictures up soon. The battery in my camera died this morning right before I started spinning the ice cream. As soon as I get a replacement battery, I'll post the pictures.

8 comments on "TWD Blueberry Sour Cream Ice Cream"

Lynne Daley on August 12, 2008 at 6:42 PM said...

I agree with you on the Cuisinart ice cream maker. Mine does the same thing. I even pour the custard while the machine is running and it still has the frozen ring around it. I have the twin canister one, but also the single canister which seems to work better.

Anonymous said...

my little krups ice cream maker does exactly the same thing! it's really annoying.

Mari on August 13, 2008 at 7:42 AM said...

I have a Krups too, but I only get a thin sheet of ice cream lining the canister, which I usually eat immediately. I have to admit that I'm curious about KA attachment, but for now I'm pretty satisfied with what I have.

Sharon on August 13, 2008 at 12:13 PM said...

Too bad about the camera not working.

Sharon on August 13, 2008 at 12:18 PM said...

Too bad about the camera not working.

That Girl on August 13, 2008 at 12:22 PM said...

I bet your cuisinart is still fancier than my old school "add the ice and salt" version. One day I'll have to include a picture of the beast.

Dolores on August 14, 2008 at 3:39 AM said...

I'm glad you enjoyed it. My pictures are "in process" too.

Nickki on August 14, 2008 at 3:41 AM said...

The batteries died on my camera as well before I could take a picture of the ice cream. I'll never learn to buy extra batteries! I should know better since my kids always need them for their toys :)

 

Bake-En Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez