Tuesday, March 4, 2008

TWD Snickery Squares

Posted by BAKE-EN at 6:29 PM

I can't think of anything more exciting than a bar or cookie that might taste even remotely like a snickers bar. I make pastries for a living, but give me a snickers bar over crème Brule any day! When I saw that Erin of Dinner and Desserts had chosen the Snickery Squares I was delighted. So happy in fact, that I made them for a dinner party on Friday.

These squares were super easy to make. First I made short dough in the food processor, and baked it off. Next, I candied some salted peanuts. Finally I melted some chocolate with some butter. After a quick assembly, you have an absolutely addicting treat. Now, that being said; production wise there are some things I will do differently next time I make these. First, I will line my square baking pan with parchment paper going up and over the sides. Even though I buttered my dish, the short dough still stuck to my pan. It wasn't a huge problem, but it made my squares slightly less picture worthy. Second, I will add a tiny bit of melted butter to the nuts after I caramelize them (when they're still in the pan), just to get the caramel coating the nuts a little more evenly. Last, I will make two times the recipe because these were so good. I am not lying when I say that I almost got into a fight with my husband when I came home from work on Sunday night and (gasp!) he had eaten the rest of the squares! I was so disappointed, but I guess it's for the best. Swimsuit season is just a few months away J

One note about the Dulche De Leche called for in this recipe. I used the brand La Salamandra Farmhouse Dulce De Leche. I purchased it at Whole Foods for $6.99, which I thought was a bit expensive. After opening the jar, I realized I had struck gold. The flavor of the dulce de leche was the perfect balance of caramel and vanilla. I will buy this brand again if I don't have time to make the dulce de leche myself. The only downside of using this brand is that the caramel never really sets up when you refrigerate it. Personally, I love gooey desserts, so it was perfect for me. It just made them a bit messy.

I promise pictures will be up soon. Somewhere between California and Massachusetts lies a USB cord to connect my camera to my computer. If anyone finds it please let me know J I hope to get a cord by the end of this week, so hopefully pictures will be up by Sunday latest.

6 comments on "TWD Snickery Squares"

noskos on March 4, 2008 at 6:35 PM said...

Thanks for the tip on adding butter to the peanuts! Will try that next time!
Looking forward to the pictures!!

Engineer Baker on March 4, 2008 at 8:23 PM said...

I like the ideas for changing up the recipe! Can't wait for pictures!

Sweet and Savory Eats on March 5, 2008 at 1:19 AM said...

Thank you for posting so many great tips. As straight-forward as Dorie's recipes are, I always find myself wanting to remake things to apply what I have learned and make suggested changes. My thighs and booty couldn't possible tolerate repeating some of these rich desserts, though. ;-)

Amy on March 5, 2008 at 9:25 AM said...

Can't wait to see the pics.

Jaime on March 5, 2008 at 8:45 PM said...

can't wait to see your pictures! i didn't have any issues w/the shortbread sticking, but maybe that was b/c i used the tart pans and was able to just pop them out?

Jhianna on March 6, 2008 at 3:13 PM said...

I didn't have a problem with my shortbread either, but I slathered the pan with butter. I thought about using parchment, but I figured that it would still taste good even if it didn't come out well enough to take pictures. :)

Love to get tips on these recipes - I need to start writing this stuff down and adding to the pages of the book!

 

Bake-En Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez