Tuesday, March 17, 2009

TWD French Yogurt Cake with Brown Sugar Yogurt Mousse and Quince Marmalade

Posted by BAKE-EN at 4:48 AM


This recipe has been on my radar for some time. Finally two great reasons to make it; I had friends to bake for at a ski house in Vermont this past weekend and it's this week's TWD recipe. Thanks to Liliana of My Cookbook Addiction for picking such a fun recipe to play with.

I decided to bake the cake in a round rather than loaf pan since I wanted a classier presentation. The cake was so fast to make, I kept rechecking my ingredients because I felt like something was missing. Once I realized it was actually THAT easy; I baked it for 38 minutes.



Once out, I let it cool completely and then I started playing around. At Sofra we make a quince marmalade that is to-die-for. The smell of it is so intoxicating; I could almost be happy just breathing in its aroma. Our marmalade isn't as thick as store bought brands though, so I decided to cook it down some more. I cooked it for about 15 minutes on a pretty steady simmer until the liquid reduced to a thick syrup; stirring it frequently. Quince marmalade has a wonderfully floral fruity taste to it, but none of the bite of a "normal" marmalade. To get a bit of "bite" back into this recipe, I made a yogurt mouse with just a bit of brown sugar. Essentially what I did was I whipped some cream, and then added some labne (very thick yogurt) and a tiny bit of brown sugar. Labne has a great tang to it, so it balanced the sweetness of the cake and the quince marmalade.

Overall, I loved this cake. I especially loved the presentation because it looked très French. I hope everyone liked this cake as much as I did. I will certainly make it again.




 

21 comments on "TWD French Yogurt Cake with Brown Sugar Yogurt Mousse and Quince Marmalade"

steph- whisk/spoon on March 16, 2009 at 5:54 PM said...

oh--that made a nice layer cake. i just love quince!

Anonymous said...

Your cake looks fantastic. The quince marmalade and brown sugar yogurt mousse both sound delicious. And I know the cake was yummy.

Audrey on March 16, 2009 at 6:56 PM said...

I agree! The additions look wonderful, and the cake is so pretty with them. I loved this recipe!

Marthe on March 16, 2009 at 7:31 PM said...

I loved this recipe, your cake looks amazing!!

Welcome to our crazy blessed life on March 16, 2009 at 9:31 PM said...

This is beautiful!!! Amazing presentation!

Sihan on March 16, 2009 at 9:32 PM said...

quince! that sounds exotic too! i would love to dip my finger into that brown sugar yogurt mousse of yours.. sounds too yummy!

Isabelle Lambert on March 16, 2009 at 10:36 PM said...

j'adore la gelée de coings ! c'est très réussi :)

Cristine on March 17, 2009 at 5:02 AM said...

Your cake looks gorgeous!

Shelby on March 17, 2009 at 7:36 AM said...

Looks lovely! I love how you presented it!

Amanda on March 17, 2009 at 7:48 AM said...

Wonderful idea! I LOVED this cake, it smelled so good while cooking and tasted wonderful :) I paired it with simple lemon curd. YUM!

Jayne on March 17, 2009 at 9:34 AM said...

Lovely cake! I've never had quince marmalade - it sounds heavenly!

Anonymous said...

WOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! What fantastic additions! Brown Sugar Yogurt Mousse! Quince Marmalade?! What time is dessert? I'll be right over!

chocolatechic on March 17, 2009 at 10:30 AM said...

Your presentation is classy.

Spot on!

Jennifer on March 17, 2009 at 11:52 AM said...

WOW! Your cake is stunning! You did an amazing job!

Pamela on March 17, 2009 at 1:44 PM said...

It looks beautfiul! Hope you had fun at the ski house!

TeaLady on March 17, 2009 at 6:29 PM said...

Beautiful cake. I bet that quince marmalade was good. And the mousse. Perfect.

Jules Someone on March 17, 2009 at 7:05 PM said...

That looks just amazing. I've never had quince. I think I might have to try it.

farah on March 17, 2009 at 11:12 PM said...

What a lovely cake! So glad you liked it, i did too :)

Annette on March 19, 2009 at 8:04 PM said...

Your cake is so pretty! I bet it's delicious! I loved how easy and good this recipe is.

Engineer Baker on March 22, 2009 at 6:45 PM said...

Quince marmalade? Now I'm curious, and wishing I could find quinces around where I live... It looks absolutely gorgeous!

April on March 23, 2009 at 11:11 AM said...

So nice! The quince is a wonderful idea. I've never actually tried cooking with, despite seeing several recipes using it.

 

Bake-En Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez