Tuesday, January 13, 2009

TWD Savory Corn & Pepper Muffins

Posted by BAKE-EN at 6:25 AM


Rebecca of Ezra Pound Cake picked this week's TWD recipe; Savory Corn and Pepper Muffins. Rebecca's blog is one that I often look at, so I was happy to see it was her turn to choose a recipe. Extra awesome is the fact that we're not baking something sweet this week (at least not in the typical sense).

This recipe could not have been easier to put together. Simply put your dry ingredients in a bowl mix in your wet and then add the chunky stuff.


I like many other TWD'rs, made chili alongside the cornbread. While making the chili I got a little overzealous and I accidently put all my chopped red pepper into the pot! Good news is that I checked the recipe before I added the whole hot pepper to the chili as well. Though I live in a big city (Boston), I couldn't find a jalapeño to save my life (okay! I only went to one store, but it was a big one!). I ended up with this:


It looks like a jalapeño, but it's red. Regardless of my peppers heritage; it was spicy and delicious in the cornbread.

I can't believe how good this recipe was. There are so many BAD cornbread recipes out there; I'm happy to add this recipe to my good cornbread file! I baked the muffins in mini muffin pans for 11 minutes (5 minutes; rotate; 6 minutes) at 400 degrees.


They came out perfect. So perfect in fact, that I'm sure we ended up eating more cornbread for dinner than chili. Also, as a side note, these seem to keep pretty well. In a moment of desperation, I ate one that was two days old, and you know what? I ate another, it was still that good.

24 comments on "TWD Savory Corn & Pepper Muffins"

Pamela on January 13, 2009 at 7:52 AM said...

That pepper is really pretty, too. The muffins look great, and I'm glad they were enjoyed.

Shelby on January 13, 2009 at 8:00 AM said...

The photo of your chili and muffins looks awesome!

Unknown on January 13, 2009 at 9:30 AM said...

Great pictures! I love your mini muffins - they're so cute. Glad you enjoyed them!

Anonymous said...

Oh man, good thing you checked before you threw in the jalapenos! They look fantastic!

chocolatechic on January 13, 2009 at 10:12 AM said...

This is a corn bread recipe that I will go to again and again.

it was fabulous.

ostwestwind on January 13, 2009 at 12:17 PM said...

Your chili picture is beautiful so are your minis.

Ulrike from Küchenlatein

Unknown on January 13, 2009 at 12:25 PM said...

It sounds easy and just by looking at the pictures I can't wait to get home and try it out! They sound and look so tasty; I love jalapenos so this sounds perfect for my taste!

Anonymous said...

Your muffins look great! You know what's funny? I was looking of a red hot pepper on Sunday for another recipe and couldn't find one to save my life (Okay, I only went to one store too). I ended up with a habanero, but since it was so hot I only used half.

Leslie on January 13, 2009 at 12:40 PM said...

Your muffins look delicious! I should have served mine with chili but I got lazy.

The red pepper you ended up with looks like a Santa Fe chile. I find they're a little hotter than a jalapeno, but same general flavor.

Danielle on January 13, 2009 at 1:01 PM said...

I am gald to hear they make for good leftovers as I still have a few left to eat with my chili leftovers! Yours came out perfect good job!

Melissa on January 13, 2009 at 1:11 PM said...

I was happy we weren't making something sweet this week too. Your muffins look great!

Cooking for Comfort by Jennifer on January 13, 2009 at 1:33 PM said...

Your muffins look great!!!! LOVELY pictures!

Where are you in New England...we might be neighbors.:)

Anonymous said...

We NEEDED an easy recipe! I ate my "geriatric" ones, too. Yum.

That Girl on January 13, 2009 at 2:12 PM said...

I love the idea of adding some spice to some basic corn muffins!

Welcome to our crazy blessed life on January 13, 2009 at 2:32 PM said...

Yum!! Your muffins look delicious!! It looks like a great compliment to the chili!

TeaLady on January 13, 2009 at 2:53 PM said...

Weren't these good. And so colorful. Good with chili, but also tamale pie and stew. Yours look superb.

Marthe on January 13, 2009 at 7:45 PM said...

I loved these too! Your muffins look amaizng

Snooky doodle on January 14, 2009 at 2:04 PM said...

these look delicous ! your photos are great :)

Cathy on January 14, 2009 at 2:59 PM said...

I am so glad to hear that you couldn't find a jalapeno in Boston. Well, not happy for you, of course -- I am sure that was frustrating -- but happy to know that it's not just my city's grocery stores that sometimes won't have some very mainstream item that they most definitely SHOULD have. Looks like you found a beautiful alternative pepper and ended up with some gorgeous muffins! This recipe is definitely a keeper!

Megan on January 14, 2009 at 4:57 PM said...

Well, you're one of the few I came across that actually liked these!

I still went the safe route and made a chocolate tart!

Jacque on January 15, 2009 at 1:00 AM said...

I think a lot of folks were happy that a savory recipe was finally chosen.

Your muffins look fantastic!

Stephanie on January 15, 2009 at 12:13 PM said...

Limes! That's what my chili could have used - never even thought of it!
I agree, it was nice to have a savory dish to try out and they went SO well with chili.

LyB on January 15, 2009 at 9:52 PM said...

I love your mini corn muffins, they look just perfect. :)

kimberly salem on January 20, 2009 at 12:24 PM said...

they look so perfect, especially on the side of that chili... yum:)

 

Bake-En Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez