Tuesday, August 25, 2009

TWD Creamiest Lime Cream Meringue Pie

Posted by BAKE-EN at 4:18 PM


Linda of Tender Crumb decided on Dorie's Creamiest Lime Cream Meringue Pie as this weeks TWD recipe. You can find the recipe at here at her website.

Love isn't a word I use often, but when a recipe for a 9" pie calls for 2 1/2 sticks of butter in the filling ALONE, I feel cupids arrow honing in on my heart.

I followed the recipe for the filling exactly as Dorie described except I added candied ginger instead of fresh. The custard came together very quickly on the stove top, under 6 minutes. After letting the hot mixture cool in the blender for 8 minutes, I slowly incorporated the butter, letting it blend for a full 3 minutes once it was all in there. The liquid was pourable once done blending, but after chilling for 4 hours it became very thick and ultra smooth.

For the crust, I baked extra cookie dough I had in the freezer. I used the vanilla pepper dough I made a while back. Once the cookie dough had cooled, I pulsed it in the blender with 3 pieces of candied ginger. Once that was finely ground, I added a touch of orange juice to bind the dough a bit. Then I patted the crumbs into my buttered tart shells and froze them for about an hour. After the hour, I baked them in a 400 degree oven for 9 minutes.



The very second I deemed the shells cool enough, I made a swiss meringue. For the meringue I used 4 egg whites, 1 cup of sugar, a pinch of cream of tartar and a little vanilla extract. I love making swiss meringues because it's easy, doesn't required a thermometer and always looks beautiful.






This tart/pie is love. The contrast between the sweet light meringue and the dense creamy lime filling is the stuff poets write of. Also nice was the additional spice/heat from the candied ginger in the tart shell. The ginger wasn't that pronounced, but it brought a beautiful brightness to the overall flavor of the tart.


11 comments on "TWD Creamiest Lime Cream Meringue Pie"

Rebecca on August 25, 2009 at 9:49 PM said...

Love those huge bubbles of Swiss meringue! And I can't believe you had vanilla pepper cookie dough on hand. If only I'd freeze mine instead of eating it...

Teanna on August 25, 2009 at 11:33 PM said...

WHAT?! Look at that decoration! That is talent!

mike on August 26, 2009 at 12:45 AM said...

WOW!!! Those are creative, wonderful, and delicious-looking! I love swiss meringue too - love it! You've made some great pies - nicely done!!!

spike. on August 26, 2009 at 8:25 AM said...

so beautiful, love what you did with the meringue!

Linda on August 26, 2009 at 10:27 AM said...

What a wonderful presentation with the meringue - so beautiful! I'm so glad you enjoyed this pie - it was an absolute hit at our house.

Thank you for baking along with me this week!

The Food Librarian on August 26, 2009 at 12:20 PM said...

That meringue is so pretty! I sorta just want to float on that! So cute!

TeaLady on August 26, 2009 at 2:58 PM said...

looks like big fluffy clouds on that great looking pie.

Mary on August 27, 2009 at 6:37 AM said...

You are so talented...I love the bubbles of meringue..I will have to copy that...

Anonymous said...

I love the way you piped the meringue. It's beautiful!

vibi on August 28, 2009 at 8:37 AM said...

Wow! I'm stunned by the beauty and puffiness of your meringue! Simply amazing...

Sihan on August 30, 2009 at 10:52 PM said...

the swiss meringue does really look great. And like you, I thought that the contrast of sweet and sour was simply sublime!

 

Bake-En Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez