Tuesday, January 27, 2009

TWD Fresh Ginger and Chocolate Gingerbread

Posted by BAKE-EN at 7:17 AM


Do you remember a Stevie Nick's song with these lyrics?

"I can't wait, I can't wait, I can't wait. What can I do when I'm crazy for you?"

Insert "I'm crazy for you" with "I want to eat you", and that's how I felt while waiting for my fresh ginger and chocolate gingerbread to "cure" for a day. Seriously painful! So painful in fact, that I only made it about an hour before I tried a piece. Luckily I made two 4" round cakes and one baby loaf pan.


The gingerbread loaf was immediately sacrificed, I just had to know what it tastes like, but we'll get to that later.

While reading the P&Q section on TWD, I was surprised by how many people said they thought the recipe called for too much ginger. Too much ginger? Is that even possible in a gingerbread cake? Does a fruitcake ever call for too much fruit, or a chocolate cake call for too much chocolate? I guess, but I'm all about excess; so I thought the amount of ginger in this recipe was appropriate. I even candied some of the fresh ginger I had left over to garnish the cake.

Joe and I don't have any plans to see people this week, so I halved the recipe. The only ingredient I couldn't find was the stem ginger. For chocolate I used Scharffenberger 70%, which is a favorite of mine.


It is kind of pricey, but it has always proved itself to be worth the splurge in baked goods. The recipe was easy to follow except Dorie doesn't say what to do with the 1 tbsp of sugar (I used 1 ½ teaspoons). I assumed it was to put on the finely chopped ginger to extract it's flavors, so that's what I did.



The recipe says that the cakes will rise, but not to worry because they'll level out once they come out of the oven. Mine rose, but stayed nice and tall. I think it may have something to do with the fact that I used such small cake pans. I love the look of domed cakes, so they are fine with me. Plus, what really matters is the taste.

As I said earlier, I had to try a piece once it came out of the oven, and I wasn't that impressed. The chocolate was still warm and I was having a difficult time picking out the chocolate flavor in the cake. A few hours later, I tried it again, and again, and again. The cake was so good plain that I considered not frosting it, but that would be just, well… wrong. Once frosted the cake was delicious. The ginger and the chocolate played off each other beautifully. All together the cake and frosting weren't a sweet as I had thought, so that was nice. I think the bittersweet chocolate is what makes this cake exceptional. Thanks to Heather of Sherry Trifle for choosing this recipe which I will certainly make again.

 




22 comments on "TWD Fresh Ginger and Chocolate Gingerbread"

Pamela on January 27, 2009 at 8:05 AM said...

Those small cakes are so great! I love the frosting resting on top, so pretty. I almost skipped the frosting, too but I'm glad I put it on there. The cake was SO GOOD!

Anonymous said...

Your little cake garnished with the ginger looks beautiful!

Anonymous said...

I love your mini cake!!! How adorable!!! I need to get me some Scharfenberger (totally spelled that wrong) because it just looks amazing!

chocolatechic on January 27, 2009 at 9:40 AM said...

How adorable they are!

I lessened the ginger in mine.

Beth on January 27, 2009 at 10:49 AM said...

I know, how could it have too much ginger?! Not possible! I nearly didn't frost them either b/c they were so good, but I'm glad I did. The ganache just makes it. Great job!

Welcome to our crazy blessed life on January 27, 2009 at 11:48 AM said...

I didn't think it called for too much ginger! Adorable little cakes! I could only wish mine turned out that well!

Flourchild on January 27, 2009 at 11:52 AM said...

Lovely job. I love how yours turned out. It was a ton of work but good in the end!

That Girl on January 27, 2009 at 12:19 PM said...

You should also submit this to Eat to the Beat: Inspired by Stevie Nicks!

Anonymous said...

AH, just stumbled upon your blog via Boston.com. You've made this cold, blah day of lunch leftovers a little brighter with big ideas of trying this tonight.

It took me a few minutes for my uninitiated self to figure out what TWD stood for, Tuesday's with Dorrie!http://tuesdayswithdorie.wordpress.com/

Thank you!

marae on January 27, 2009 at 12:36 PM said...

I made cupcakes and mine also stayed tall and did not flatten out of the oven. Your mini cakes are sooo cute. I also loved that there was not too much sugar in this recipe, so you tasted the different flavors.

Cristine on January 27, 2009 at 2:29 PM said...

Beautiful cakes! I love the ginger on top!

Isabelle Lambert on January 27, 2009 at 2:49 PM said...

trop mignons en petites portions :)

Anonymous said...

Your gingerbread mini-cakes look great. I loved this recipe so much. Maybe too much. :P

TeaLady on January 27, 2009 at 4:23 PM said...

Cute little cakes. Glad you liked it. Waiting for mine now, tapping my foot.

kimberly salem on January 27, 2009 at 5:26 PM said...

love your little cakes, they look so cute and delicious! i couldn't find the stem ginger either, but it was delicious even without it :)

Leslie on January 27, 2009 at 10:18 PM said...

I love the way your little cakes look! I'm all about excess, too, so I appreciated your choice of chocolate.

Unknown on January 27, 2009 at 11:10 PM said...

Your cakes look great and I love the garnish. I made a few mini cakes too - they're just so cute.

The Food Librarian on January 28, 2009 at 12:22 AM said...

Those are mighty cakes! Looks so yummy.

Megan on January 28, 2009 at 12:29 AM said...

Wow - they're so tall, and with the crispy edges, ummmm.

Anonymous said...

your cakes are so cute. too much ginger??? no way. :)

Audrey on January 28, 2009 at 1:40 PM said...

Your cakes look wonderful! I was suprised that chocolate and ginger could go together.

Jules Someone on January 30, 2009 at 6:44 PM said...

Nice looking cakes!

 

Bake-En Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez